Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Art of Lying

Znep, I am sorry to break this devastating news to you but this will be my last masterpiece(T_T). Do you remember a situation like this in the picture? I am sure you have because this is a very typical situation in the lives of a child. Yes we do lie and we do it many2 times in our lives. But instead of punishing a child for lying immediately, have we ever tried to figure out why they do it anyway even though they may have been told not to do it because it is wrong? I believe that children lie because they feel they have to and if they don't that means they may get scolded or receive the short end of the stick on their buts. They do not want to get into trouble so they lie to get out of it. Take this picture for example, Marjie lied to the two guardians because she is afraid of getting in trouble and being detained or even worst which is why she lied to them and even cried to make her look more sincere about her story(Satrapi134). This does not mean I condone lying even though I have done it many times :P but I just feel in order to promote honesty, we should reprimand them and not punish them harshly for causing trouble and reward them if they are well behaved. Even if they did something bad but they showed sincerity in admitting their mistakes and be honest about it I feel its necessary to reward them so they wouldn't feel they need to lie to avoid punishment. So I believe that the main reason of lies is fear of getting in trouble and if we remove that fear, we will eliminate all the lies. So I guess this will be my last Masterpiece for now but please don't feel so sad because I may do this again in the future so just stay tuned and keep checking.

No comments: